Redistricting and "Communities of Interest" for Local Government in California

Matt Rexroad explains why the California Citizens Redistricting Commission will still have to split up cities and counties.

"It may be just me but I do not see how population equality is able to be provided in a plan that does not cut up some cities. Further, if the commission wants to pass a Congressional district plan with 2% deviation to respect communities of interest and point out Prop 11 to the courts, I will be happy to take my own plan that will be submitted to the Commission for consideration with 0% deviation and point to the US Constitution. I like my odds there.

Further complicating this 'communities of interest' for political subdivisions concept is that we have not had a new county in California for more than 107 years (Imperial County is the most recent to be formed). Dixon and Vallejo are both in Solano County yet I don't think they are much alike. Roseville and parts of Lake Tahoe are both in Placer County but the reality is that they are an hour apart by car and don't even see the same television stations."